Moortown Golf Club

Founded in 1909, Moortown was designed by the World famous golf course architect Dr Alister MacKenzie, who also designed Augusta National, Cypress Point, Royal Melbourne and many other championship courses throughout the world.

Well-known around the World as the host of the first Ryder Cup match on British soil, in 1929, Moortown is regarded by many as one of the Country’s finest inland golf courses. Over the past Century the Club has hosted many professional and amateur tournaments with winners that include Sir Nick Faldo, Bernard Gallagher and Sir Michael Bonallack, former Captain of the R & A, to name but a few. Today Moortown Golf Club prides itself on the warm welcome afforded to local, national and international Visitors alike.

Although steeped in history, the Club provides a range of modern facilities including our magnificent warm-up facility which visiting golfers can enjoy prior to their round.

In 1908, the club's founders approached Dr Alister MacKenzie, who in partnership with Harry Colt was nearing the completion of the nearby Alwoodley Golf Club, to design one test hole, the legendary 'Gibraltar', with the aim to attract members. Very shortly after he was invited to lay out the full eighteen holes (with the intention of playing nine of them as soon as possible) on the land at Black Moor, which had just been leased from the Lane Fox Estate.

Features of the original heathland course at Moortown which received much comment were the bunkers, being perfect examples of artificial hazards, imitating natural seaside contours. Secondly was the in green design, where Dr MacKenzie adopted the larger, undulating seaside greens. Dr MacKenzie who often chaired many of the early meetings, was elected a Vice President in 1909, and in 1913 he was Captain.

As the Club leased more land, and the holes re-shaped, he continued as constructional adviser and active Vice-President for several years. However in 1928, by which time Alister was working mostly abroad, the club turned to his younger brother, Charles, to act as a course consultant, a role in which he continued to serve until 1933. It was then that the Green Committee decided that eth need for a consultant no longer existed as "the course has now been got more or less in its final form".